Thursday, October 12, 2006

i got a job, or at least some things to take a job's place

Yesterday was one of muted glory in the life of jimbo. An internship started the day, and a job offer ended it. Internship was greatgrandwonderful, and how can a day go badly if a large chunk of it includes a model-casting for the mag's upcoming shoot on a sailboat (which I will also be attending.)

The interview for a 'reservationist' position at a restaurant in Brooklyn was next. I don't know what a reservationist is, but I was going to try to. I left the internship at 5:00, and MTA'ed it home to Brooklyn because I came to the realization that one doesn't often wear jeans to a job interview. Oh, the interview was at 6:00, and was a 15-minute drive away from the apt.

So I got to the apt at about 5:45, and reverse-supermanned-it into a suit and tie, jumped into the Wolwo, and off I was to DUMBO, Brooknahn. Shnazzy restaurant below the brook 'n bridge, and all that jazz. I sat down with the manager who looked at my resume and said "Well, you're definitely overqualified for the 'reservationist' position you're applying for, so I'd like to offer you a job parking cars at our valet stand."

After taking a moment to swallow this not-so-sequitur, and to remember the desperation with which I have been searching for any job, any job at all; I saaays, "I'll take it!"

He sweetened the deal by explaining that I'll be driving some "really fancy cars." I hope they are shiny with bright, fun colors, because I didn't work so hard to get my glorious car-parking qualifications for nothin.



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

im so proud to know someone to smat and overqualified. And way to look at the bright side, cars are shiny and pretty...YAY YAY YAY